By Megan Burke, CooperKatz & Company
The days of marketers operating in a vacuum, with marketing and business strategies devised independently, are ending. The best marketers are now creating integrated perspectives that start with their companies’ growth objectives.
On day two of the ANA's Annual “Masters of Marketing" Conference an esteemed panel of CMO “growth leaders” gathered for a Round Table discussion to talk about Scott Davis’ book The Shift which explores the five shifts marketers must undertake to fundamentally shift the role of marketing and help drive the growth agenda and bottom-line results. Panel members included:
· Scott Davis, Senior Partner, Prophet
· Mark Addicks, Senior Vice President, Chief Marketing Officer, General Mills, Inc.
· Joan Chow, Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer, ConAgra Foods
· Barry Judge, Chief Marketing Officer, Best Buy Co., Inc.
· James D. Speros, Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer, Fidelity Investments
Each provided their perspectives on how they have successfully shifted the role of marketing within their organizations.
On Thursday, the ANA released the findings of a survey it conducted, in partnership with Prophet, which found that although mararketers want to be seen as visionaries- individuals who can shift perspectives and capabilities to bring about game-changing outcomes in their organizations, they are further away from this realization than they think.